Monday, September 17, 2012

Bundts and Rosh Hashana!

OK so no I'm not Jewish and no, bundts don't really have anything to do with Jewish people or Rosh Hashanah, but that is perfectly fine with me! I respect all people, all races, all religions and all cultures and think there is something we can learn from everyone!


Today starts my efforts to post a new bundt cake recipe every day leading up to National Bundt Cake Day, which is on November 15th! I will also be tying this into a pound cake giveaway from OMG Pound Cakes!!! Details to follow!

I will not lie and pretend that I am going to actually make 28 pound cakes in the next 28 days. That would just be ridiculous and would cause me to gain large amounts of weight and could be an incredible waste of resources. Now I could have tied this in to a daily giveaway or some sorts, I could have donated a cake a day, I could give them away to neighbors, family, friends...but really? Twenty eight cakes?!?!? I work full-time and have a child, husband, mother, dog, two inside cats I own, two outside cats and their two kittens that have adopted our back porch and a fish. Coming up with the 28 flavors was hard enough people! GEESH!!!

Now one day I might just do all of those things. This just isn't that time. Very rude of me but hey...at least I'm honest!

So back to Rosh Hashanah and what that has to do with bundt cakes. Well nothing really...until I ran across a recipe I found on AllRecipes.com for honeycake. Honey is one of the foods you see at a typical Rosh Hashanah celebration. There you go! That is the tie in. Honey cake in a bundt + Rosh Hashanah = a win for all mankind! Now...I do plan on making this cake, as well as all of the others that I will post {at some point} I promise!!! This one sounds very good and could be a great alternative to my classic Honey Vanilla Pound Cake!

As I said, I saw this recipe on AllRecipes.com posted by Amybobamy and made a few very minor adaptations! I don't know her but the recipe received 14 stars and I personally trust and believe in all 14 of those people who took time out to 5 star her!
Honeycake

 
Ingredients
 
Cooking spray (I use Pam's Baking Spray ♥)
3 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cinnamon
1 cloves
1/2 nutmeg
1 cup canola oil
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup strongly brewed coffee
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup whiskey
 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven at 350° and spray bundt pan with baking spray.
  2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and sift until well blended.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients with a blender. Combine with flour mixture.
  4. Bake until golden brown, or about 1 hour.
I don't usually use oil when I make my pound cakes because I usually have sour cream or cream cheese in there somewhere because I firmly believe in making every pound count! {My scale tells me I am succeeding...he's SO rude} I assume the oil is necessary for the amount of honey and sugar. Otherwise you could get a very chewy crust, especially with the whiskey! Again, I haven't had the pleasure of making this yet but I would advise on making sure your cake pan is well greased otherwise the cake may stick to the sides of the bundt pan.
 
Obviously I am speaking from experience and don't want any of you to have to experience baking a perfectly delish tasting batter and waiting that long hour for it to bake and cool and then find your hopes and dreams shattered when you can't get the cake out of the pan!
 
But hey...practice makes perfect!
 
Happy Rosh Hashanah to all those who celebrate it! Happy eating to all those that will celebrate any and every holiday if it involves food and fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment