Yields 12 servings
2 cups sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe to follow
2 dozen Strawberries, halved
1 lb Blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk the cocoa powder, cake flour, baking soda, and baking powder together, set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix well then add the dry mixture.
- Mix until smooth then add the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring. Continue beating until well combined.
- Pour batter into well greased sheet cake pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool pan on wire rack. When completely cool, add the Cream Cheese Frosting.
1 8oz package cream cheese
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 box confectioners' sugar
Beat cream cheese and butter together in a bowl. Add sugar and blend well. Spread on top of cooled cake. Add strawberries and blueberries in whatever pattern you like. Remember to thoroughly wash and dry your fruit before adding to cake.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.